Leaving It All on the Road: Sister Bay Metric Century

 


Leaving It All on the Road: Sister Bay Metric Century

 

Sister Bay, Wisconsin, experienced cold and wet weather. Cold might be a stretch for an Indiana boy, but coming from the high 80s and 90s we have had here in Bloomington, Indiana and going to the mid to high sixties off the coast of Lake Michigan was a big change. Although, a very welcome change. I ride better in the cold. The fall scenery there dazzled with vibrant color. While not all trees had started their seasonal change, some had, which made the landscape around the mighty Michigan lovely.    

David and I drove up there to cap off our summer rides and put state number 8 into the books. I struggled in Kentucky and Pennsylvania earlier this year. My goal was straightforward: to conquer the three rated climbs and reach the finish line.

I made a joke to David on the way up there that our Airbnb would be a shack out in the middle of the woods with no driveway. I had no way of knowing at the time how right I would be until I pulled up to the sign that listed our address. The car turned off the navigation, and we sat looking at two tire tracks leading down a dirt and grass path. All I could think about was Crystal Lake. Damn Peacock for releasing their trailer before this ride. I grasped at that moment that if anything in Sister Bay intended to kill me; then it would be an ax-wielding maniac, not the rated hills on the ride. 

Ok, so maybe the place wasn’t that bad. Nestled in the woods, it presented a quaint little house. I give it points off for not having Wi-Fi. I didn’t even think about checking for it. Given the current times, I assumed it would have it. I deducted another point because the Lethal Weapon DVD was scratched, while Big Trouble in Little China was pristine. Sorry, but after a third viewing, I still don't get the cult status.

The Metric Century by the numbers:

·      Distance: 65 Miles

·      Elevation Gain: 2,400 Feet

·      Moving Time: 5 hours, and 22 minutes

·      Average Speed: 12 Mph (amazing for that amount of climbing)

·      Average Power: 102 Watts

·      Average Cadence: 70 rpm

I rocked the three rated climbs. Although I felt stressed about them the night before, I kicked their ass and managed to climb all three. What I call the roundabout the hill gave me terrible nightmares. When we drove the course the day before, I swear this sharp right turn seemed to shoot up at a 90-degree angle. I could not get over that evil little bastard. I doubted the ride route and how it could be an average 2% grade. I cursed myself for picking this ride. 

There wasn’t really anything to do but go out and ride them. So, with rated climb one down at the first rest stop and us pulling over at the lighthouse for food and bathroom breaks, we just have to go for it. However, before I get there, I was standing at the lighthouse in full Punisher kit and some dudes rode by and one of them was like is that the grim reaper. Talking about me and my jersey, just waving at riders as they passed. With a sly grin, I told them I was the Punisher, and that I intended to “kill them all.” I don’t think they thought I was very funny. I sure did, though.

My fear over the roundabout hill, as our fears so often tend to be, was blown out of proportion. I followed David’s advice and swung out wide on the way up and I crushed the roundabout hill. The photo from up top is me expressing the joy of making it up and over, as are a few from below. However, right after roundabout hill was Gibraltar, and it was up and up again. I rode strong and made it up and over and when I did that I let out a loud scream for the whole ride to hear as well a loud notification that I had just killed them all. During the last quarter of the ride, there were two more dreadful climbs, which seems unfair to the riders, but that is the way the ball bounces. Also, I don’t see why they haven’t been rated, because they sucked compared to the rated climbs. One I crushed, the other I put my foot down for a minute, but made it up, just needed to catch my breath. My legs were dead by mile fifty. I rode hard. I keep my RPMs up and just kicked the ride’s ass.  

The Peninsula Challenge in Sister Bay was the best of the three state rides for me. It was my coming out party. I was not the rider who failed in Kentucky or bonked in Pennsylvania. I was a machine. Well oiled, trained, and ready to kick ass. This is all attributed to my consistent training, patience, and wattage management. It really all paid off. Thanks David for doing the state rides with me and putting up with me on most of them.

Now with the season changing from summer to fall, we will look up which states to conquer next year. Tennessee was on my list at one point. Either Illinois or Ohio will be on the list, in one fashion or another. Insert evil laugh here, there will be more than that soon.     

Eight of fifty states are now in the books. I am thinking of five states next year, at least. I need to spend some time thinking about that. Although the summer is over, the training is just now starting. I have signed up for the Y, so swimming is back on the menu. Then, at fifty years old, I am going to toss my hand into the ring of running. Things are trending positive and we really are leading a life that is less ordinary. 

Photos from Sister Bay:










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resignation

Beyond Big & Tall: First Time Shopping in 30 Years