From Hobbyist to Athlete: Mindset over Miles
From Hobbyist to Athlete: Mindset over Miles
The weight of carrying heavy legs hits hard this Monday morning. I’m sitting down to write this feeling, and I have to admit, I am completely exhausted, but it’s the good fatigue. It's the kind that results from dedication and staying on course, despite every muscle in your legs pleading for a break.
Last weekend was a genuine test of one's commitment and discipline. It started with a two-hour-and-fifteen-minute spin locked inside on the trainer. Then Sunday came bearing the gift of a three-hour tour on tired legs, at least that was outside. This is coming after back-to-back weekends of fifty-plus miles on the bike, and then two additional rides during the last week. My legs hated me, and who could blame them?
I am proud of myself. It feels strange to say that. I am proud of myself, though. Not just because of the riding, but because of everything I am doing to live my dream. How I continue to put myself out there. Sunday’s ride was such a huge milestone moment for me. This isn’t because I set a new distant record, or because of how fast I went, not really. It was because of how I rode on Sunday.
I spent 90% of the entire ride tucked into the small front ring. The goal wasn’t to hammer out power or chase high speeds; it was a high-cadence, low-heart-rate, low-power effort designed to build endurance on fatigued legs. I kept the pedals spinning, stayed patient, and still averaged over 10 mph across the entire three hours.
Distance: 32.23 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1,604 ft
Moving Time: 3:02:02
Average Power: 85W
Average Speed: 10.6 mph
I went out and executed the exact ride my coach asked me to do. Earlier this year, I would have ignored the coaching and just gone out and seen what I could do in three hours. Then apologize if I put too much burden on the legs. However, with a metric coming up next weekend in Wisconsin and bigger plans on the horizon, I wanted to follow the plan. Learning to spin through heavy fatigue and respect the target zones is where the real growth happens. I learned too. I would watch the HR and power meter and if I was okay in one but not the other, I would adjust my spinning to get everything where it needed to be. That is growth, and good growth.
What gets me so excited is that even out there yesterday on the bike, I felt the fundamental shift taking place. A transition is happening in real time: I am no longer a hobbyist who rides bikes-I am an athlete who trains with purpose. One that has a purpose beyond just limping to a finish line.
That shift in focus couldn't have come at a better time. This coming Saturday, I'm heading out for the Peninsula Century Fall Challenge that is being held in Sister Bay, WI. What a great way for me to measure how far my riding has come from Kentucky and Pennsylvania rides earlier this year.
It's all part of a much bigger journey taking shape behind the scenes. I’m getting ready to share a major new chapter in the coming weeks, and I can't wait to bring you along for what's next.
For now, it’s time to refuel, let the legs recover, and gear up for Wisconsin.
Ride through the suck!







Comments
Post a Comment