Grateful for the Miles: Steal Your Face Kit & the Hancock Prep



Grateful for the Miles: Steal Your Face Kit & the Hancock Prep

I listen to more Grateful Dead than I have since I went to school at IU. The last two weeks I have been listening to Reckoning on repeat. The only acceptable version of China Doll is the Reckoning version. The music makes me happy and calms me. Happiness has been my driving focus since I left my work behind. 

That leads me to this week's cycling kit! Finally, the Steal Your Face jersey has come out of the closet. It wasn't the matching socks, which arrived on Tuesday, that I swear had nothing to do with it. The Grateful Dead cycling gloves have been on tour with me previously; but they really do complete the kit. 


Happy to announce that I reset my nutrition this week. To subtract, I added, and counting occupied my daily attention. Made sure my meal's core component was protein, then fiber. Two pounds melted away. I went back over 100 down in the last year. Well, technically, 360 days, but who is counting? 







Continuing to work on improving this week, I am currently making some lean BBQ pulled pork. Wasn’t happy with how much salt was in my lunch meat last week, so we are mixing it up. Also, looking to add in some veggies on the side. My body wants more vegetables. We must feed the machine!

I had an incredible cycling experience yesterday, spending four and a half hours on my bike. I had planned to ride a brand new alternative route, but when I drove it, there were not adequate water sources for a guy who needs to take a minimum of a liter per hour. So, I improvised when I was on the bike. I wanted to ride something new. I am not bored with the same routes, but it is fun to try new things. 

I have been thinking about riding Leonard Springs since I started going to therapy over there. So, when I got back from Ellettsville, instead of taking 17th back to the B-line, I improvised on the fly and went to 3rd Street. This allowed me to find Kirby, which runs by the airport and the fairgrounds. You'll end up on SR45, which is hectic for my taste, but it's a quick ride with a generous shoulder. Then I got onto Leonard Springs and headed back to the trails. From there it was Tapp Road home. My ride covered 48 miles and 2300 feet of elevation gain, taking four hours and thirty-four minutes.  

This was a great prelude to next week's Hancock Flat 50. Next Saturday, I'll be heading to Hancock County for a ride. This makes me nervous because it's my first organized ride by myself. Though I have to depart Bloomington and Kona at the crack of dawn, I truly felt a powerful urge to get out there and participate in more experiences of this kind. You never know, I could make some friends. Also, I'm almost certain I'll say one of my favorite Family Guy jokes at least once. John Footpenis... It’s Hancock now... why... Mind your business, that’s why. Ha ha! Maybe I won’t make friends if I tell that one. I am excited to go ride the Flat 50 and just have fun and get across the finish line! Here is to a great week! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resignation

Under 300—More Than Just a Number